Large Collections of Documents
These sites will include letters, diaries, memoirs, autobiographies, oral histories, sound recordings, still and moving images, prints, maps and sheet music.
- American Presidency Project - Over 103,903 documents pertaining to the American Presidency. Documents include, State of Union speeches, Inaugural Address, Executive Orders, proclamations, letters, etc.
- Civil Rights Digital Library - Searchable index that provides thinks to sound recordings, film, pamplets, photographs, etc pertaining to the Civil Rights Movement.
- David Rumsey Historical Map Collection - The collection has over 42,000 maps and images online. The collection focuses on 18th and 19th century North American and South American maps and also has maps of the Europe, Asia, and Africa.
- Digital Collections of the Library of Congress - Digital copies of photographs, manuscripts, maps, sound recordings, motion pictures, and books found in the Library of Congress.
- Digital Public Library of America -Searchable index to millions of items—photographs, manuscripts, books, sounds, moving images, and more—from libraries, archives, and museums around the United States.
- Documenting the American South - Collections of books, diaries, posters, artifacts, letters, oral history interviews, and songs.
- Historic Government Publications from World War II - Contains 343 Informational pamphlets, government reports, instructions, regulations, declarations, speeches, and propaganda materials distributed by the U.S. Government Printing Office (GPO) during the Second World War. The documents are held by SMU Central University Libraries.
- Immigration to the United States, 1789-1930 - Collection of historical materials from Harvard's libraries, archives, and museums that documents voluntary immigration to the United States. Materials include more than 2,200 books, pamphlets, diaries, biographies, and serials, over 9,600 pages from manuscript and archival collections, and more than 7,800 photographs.
- National Archives Online Public Access - Search multiple National Archives locations including Presidential Libraries. Images, films, audio files, etc can be found.
- NYPL Digital Gallery (History and Geography) - A large collection of maps, photographs, art, pamphlets, etc covering a wide range of historical topics.
- Smithsonian Collections Search Center - Search the Smithsonian's collection. Almost 1 million of their records contain links to online images, video and sound files, electronic journals and other online resources.
- State Digitial Resources - A compilation of state and regional digital projects
- The War Times Journal Archive - On-line editions of military memoirs, headquarters dispatches, correspondence (not personal writings, but "correspondence" between officers and command groups) and eyewitness accounts. There are also image galleries relating to war.
- Witness to the Early American Experience - Letters, newspapers, broadsides, legal documents, and maps dealing with the American Revolution in New York
- Women Working: 1800-1930 - Collection of historical materials from Harvard's libraries, archives, and museums that include books, diaries, memoirs, photographs, institutional records, etc.
- World Digital Library - Books, newspapers, photographs, maps, etc from countries and cultures around the world.
Government and Legal Documents
- Avalon Project - Contains government and legal documents from ancient times to present. The documents are in the fields of Law, History, Economics, Politics, Diplomacy and Government.
- Congress.gov - Information on both the Senate and House of Representatives is available, including profiles, committee reports, The Congressional Record and information about the legislative process.
- FBI Records: The Vault - 6,700 digital FBI documents
- Federalist Papers - Contains the full text of both the Federalist and Anti-Federalist Papers and other documents pertaining to the founding of America.
- Government Printing Office Federal Digital System - Online government documents covering all branches of the government.
- Historical Publications of the United States Commission on Civil Rights - A complete electronic record of United States Commission on Civil Rights publications.
- The Oyez Project - Provides audio recorded in the Supreme Court. Also has links to opinions.
- Supreme Court - Decisions and opions from the past 6 years and speeches given by current justices.
- U.S State Department Office of the Historian - Official foreign relations documents for the Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, Ford, and Carter administrations. More information will be released as it's declassified.
- Chronicling America - You can search historic American newspaper pages from 1836-1922 . Many of these papers have been reporduced and can be downloaded. You can search by topic or narrow down to a specific state or even specific newspaper. You can also search the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690 to present.
- Indianapolis Star - Full text content from 1991to present.
- Lexis-Nexis Academic - Full text content of newspapers from all over the world from 1980 to present.
Books and Journal Publications
These sites will contain full text books and journal articles that have been digitized and are in the public domain.
- Google Books - Millions of full text books and journals.
- Hathi Trust Digital Library - Millions of full text books and journals.
- Life Magazine - Digital copies of the magazine from 1935-1972
- Making of America - Contains books and journals relating to American social history from the antebellum period through reconstruction. All the books and journals have a 19th century imprint. There are two universities participating in this and you currently need to go to each site to browse their respective collections.
- Slavery & Abolitin in the US - A digital collection of nineteenth century books and pamphlets that represent both sides of the slavery issue in the United States.