Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Open Access: Green and Gold
- Green Open Access: The author can publish in any journal and once they have receive permission from the publisher, they can self-archive a copy in an institutional or discipline specific repository.
- Gold Open Access: Authors can publish in an open access journal and the content is stored on the publishers website.
Search Across Repositories
- BASE: The Bieleld Academic Search Engine is and index to open access web resources.
- CORE: Search for open access material in journals and repositories worldwide.
- OAIster: A catalog of millions of records for open access resources.
- OpenAIRE: Search for open access content in European repositories.
Selection of Open Access Journals and Repositories
- Directory of Opens Access Journals: Online directory of open access peer reviewed journals.
- OpenDOAR: Directory of open access academic repositories.
- BioMed Central: BioMed Central publishes 291 biomedical publications. All publications are peer reviewed and open access.
- DOAB: Directory of Open Access Books
- Public Library of Science (PLOS): PLOS publishes seven peer reviewed open accces journals that cover medicine, tropical diseases, biology, pathogens, genetics, and biology.
- PubMed Central: A repository of biomedical and life science open access journal articles. PubMed Central is maintained by the U.S. National Institutes of Health's National Library of Medicine.
- Many "traditional" publishers also offer open access journals covering a wide range of topics.